Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wednesday Morning May 12

Today I ran on Eddy Road. The other day I read an article from Trail Runner that had interesting suggestions for running uphill. I tried the last suggestion and could really feel the benefit in my lower legs.

Sidestep Tough Climbs
Danny Dreyer, author of Chi Running and a renowned coach who integrates tai-chi principles into trail running, recommends turning your hips to the side to take the workload off your quads and hamstrings, and better engage your core muscles when going up steep inclines to avoid exhausting your legs.

Facing uphill with your feet pointing at 12-o'clock, turn only your feet to 10-o'clock. Keep your feet at this angle as you run, slightly crossing your feet in front of each other. "The key," says Dreyer, "is to engage your side (oblique) stomach muscles, by accentuating the motion of the downhill arm. Swing this arm strongly across your body and up to your chin, just like an upper cut." After about six to 10 steps, switch sides by moving your feet to a two-o'clock position.

If you click the Trail Runner link above, you can read the entire article.

This morning I did speed work on the flat part of the road in anticipation of decreasing my mile time. I think instead of Monday, I will run my two miles on Sunday and take Mondays off from now on. Tuesdays and Thursdays are becoming my weight training days. Tomorrow I am meeting with a personal trainer to help with strength training.

No comments:

Post a Comment