Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Warm up

Have you heard of the Ben Schiller Plague? It's a highly contagious sinusy (is that a word) infection. Ben is still sick. Jeff is back to work after a pink eye scare. I'm virtually completely healthy. Still tired and have an annoying cough.
And I'm carrying a general malaise with me. Monday Alison and I drove to Cincinnati to be there for Philips kidney surgery. Although we stayed up past midnight gossiping and hashing out "sister" stuff, we were at the hospital by 6:30am. At 7:30 we found out that Phil's hemoglobin count was 8.6 (down from 9.5). The 40 something doctor didn't feel skilled enough to be able to do the surgery without using blood since Philip's count was so low. He is so skinny, my friends. I hugged him before he was supposed to go into surgery and felt the bones in his back and shoulders. The skin on his face looks like it is pulled over a skeletons face.
He's lost more weight.
Today at 4:30 he is meeting with another doctor who might be able to perform the surgery without blood. Meanwhile he is doing all he can to improve his hemoglobin count. I realize this is a post not about running.
This morning I woke up with the sun in my face. I wonder if this will be Philip's last April. His 20th wedding anniversary is tomorrow. Will it be his last?
Will handed me my coffee with 1/2 & 1/2. I sat on the couch and listened to him talk about Lao syllables.
I dressed for running, pulling on a wool hat, a long sleeved running top and my running pants from my marathon training days.
And I went for a mile walk.
I'm warming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment